My Lenten Mission

Wherein I will explore the world's religions in order to figure out how to best express my gratitude to God.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I was born on the same day that Skylab fell. Coincidence? I don't think so. As a writer, my work has appeared in Elmont Life newspaper, and on the sadly defunct website, CentralBooking.com. I am currently a contributing writer to PinkRaygun.com, a webzine that focuses on geekery from a feminine perspective, and I've recently become a comic writer for PopMatters.com. I'm currently at work on several fiction projects, including a collection of short stories and a comic. As a geek, I love Star Trek, Lost, comics, and anything Joss Whedon ever touched. I have a tendency to develop fangirl *squee-ing* crushes on writers and am an aspiring fangbanger. Get Twitterpated with me: @teresajusino

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

The Mission

So, here's the thing...

Inspired by a mission I read about on the LJ Catholic community, I am planning on using the Lenten season this year as a serious time of learning and reflection....or as a friend of mine put it, I'm "giving up Catholicism for Lent." Not really. :) But what I wanted to do was divide the next forty days into different religions and spend some time learning a little about each one. I don't, by any means, expect to become an expert or anything - I just want to expose myself to the basics of other religions with which I'm not familiar, while also learning a little more about my own. In my original spirituality post (see "The Backstory"), I mention the desire to try to seek out the one human religion, to try to find the places where all the religions intersect. I suppose one of my main goals is to come as close to that as possible, and to come closer to figuring out the best way for me to express my gratitude to God. I prayed a couple of nights ago for the first time in a long time, and I was glad to be doing it...at the same time, it felt weird. I know that God understands; and I'm hoping that I will get to a point where it won't be weird anymore - however I choose to do it. There was a time when I spoke to God and it felt like the most natural thing in the world. I miss that.

So, here is the schedule:

March 2-5: Christianity (how are the denominations similar, and different - sadly, I don't know nearly enough about this)

March 6-8: Buddhism

March 9-11: Judaism

March 12-14: Islam

March 15-17: Hinduism

March 18-20: Taoism

March 21-23: Wicca

March 24-26: Iroquois and Australian Aboriginal Spirituality (two indiginous groups in which I've become interested recently)

March 27-29: Deism/Spiritual Humanism

March 30-April 1st: Satanism/Scientology (this one freaks me out the most, but I want to learn a little about everything)

The remaining two weeks before Easter, I want to use to follow up on any of the above religions that particularly interest me, as well as use the entire Lenten period to go to at least one service for each one. I'd like to talk to clergy representative from each one if I can, as well as a layperson who practices.

The other thing I'd like to do during these 40 days, is devote more of myself to doing some sort of good. I haven't figured out what that means for me yet, but I was inspired by a conversation I had at work today - no one does nearly enough for humanity. We don't even do a small percentage of what we're capable of...so I'd like to figure out how I can do more. Who knows? It might even become a habit.

I don't think I'm going to change the world, or save it. I don't think that I'm going to have some life-altering revelation, or anything like that. The greatest hope I have for the next 40 days is that I learn to be less lazy when it comes to the kind of person I'd like to be. I want to at least start figuring out where Adult Teresa stands on certain things...

I'll be recording that journey here - things I've learned, observations, as well as schedules for various religious services. If anyone would like to join me (or has any recommendations), I'd love to hear from you!

2 Comments:

Blogger Alex said...

From what I've been told, there's a difference between satanism and devil worship, so I wouldn't worry... too much. ;)

I trust there will be a detailed account of your findings posted here?

6:43 AM  
Blogger Teresa said...

Yes - my findings will be posted. As well as accounts of my run-ins with religious-types, satanists, whatever... :)

But what's funny is that I'm currently writing a TV pilot (I'm on page 25) that has to do with the Devil and religion. So this is also research! Sort of.

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home